Tips & insights for homeowners to save money while replacing a garage door:
The professionals at Iconic Garage Door Services has outlined some best practices to follow to ensure homeowners save money and get the most out of their garage door investment.
- Make sure you are hiring a reputable garage door services company that provides a free inspection and estimate. Some companies will offer a free estimate, but charge for the inspection.
- Do your research! Make sure you are reading reviews of all reputable garage door services companies in the area. If you find reviews about costs that weren’t expected or estimates that were too high, those companies are likely overcharging.
- While it is important to hire a professional technician to install your new garage door, investigate the cost of the product. If you are paying a great deal more from the garage door services company for just the product, compared to what the garage door manufacturer would charge, the services company is inflating the price too high.
- Review all garage door options. While it may be appealing to design your own garage door, there are many prefab options that could look just as outstanding on your home. Certain materials and styles are cheaper than others. For example, here are many different options for residential garage doors here.
- Make sure the garage door services company you go with doesn’t charge extra to serve you on your schedule. If you can only meet on weekends, evenings, or even holidays, they should not charge you for their flexibility.
- If you are a veteran, senior, or first responder, investigate which garage door services companies offer discounts to those groups.
- Lastly, when you narrow down your choices to a garage door services company that meets all of the above requirements, ask each of them if they guarantee the lowest price. Some will guarantee a price match of the lowest cost. This ensures the customer can pick the best customer service without compromising on cost.
While saving money upfront is important, there are very inexpensive hardware upgrades that you can choose that will save you a ton of money in the long run. You can spend an extra $40 – $60 up front to save hundreds of dollars in annual adjustments and unexpected repairs. These are some of the questions you should be asking the garage door services company that you choose:
- What gauge hardware and hinges are you using? 14 gauge are a few dollars more than the 18 gauge, but are way less likely to bend or break, saving hundreds of dollars in repair costs.
- Are you using plastic rollers or quiet nylon ball bearing rollers? The nylon ball bearing rollers are a few dollars more but significantly more durable than the plastic ones, again, saving a fortune in future repairs.
- What gauge steel are you using? 24 gauge is way less likely to crack and bend compared to the 25 gauge steel.
- What kind of springs are you using? 2 oil tempered springs are a few dollars more than using a single galvanized spring. If you choose the latter, you have to pay to have it adjusted and serviced every year because they bend. Using 2 oil tempered springs instead will greatly improve the longevity of your new garage door.
Contact Iconic Garage Door Services today for a free inspection and free, no-obligation estimate.